Tuesday, October 2, 2012

How To Walk

Many times as a Christian I was told that I have to follow my Rabbi, be covered in His dust, and to learn from Him. However, there are times when I feel like my Rabbi has stepped aside and watches me rather than lead the way. In those situations, I am quite lost.

However, the joy of a father does not come from carrying his child. The joy comes from watching his child walk without his aid.

When Jesus stood out on the water in front of His disciples and called Peter to Him, He didn't say, "Oh Peter, let me go out there so I can give you a nice piggyback ride and a high five for saying the right thing." No, He stood some distance away from the boat and called Peter to walk on the stormy waters. He watched Peter walking on water! I can't imagine what joy our LORD must have felt when Peter was walking on that water, even though He knew that Peter would be distracted by the winds and the waves and would sink.

It is of utmost importance to be covered in Jesus' dust as we follow Him. But when He calls us off the boat into the stormy seas, let us not be afraid of walking. Let us instead stride out doing what our Rabbi does, as a talmid would do so. Let us not be afraid, even though we may fail, for Jesus rushed immediately to Peter's aid when Peter was sinking. He is out there. Let us walk and do what He has made us to do.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ariana! I have to give some credit to Jasmine for forcing me to think about these things.

    ReplyDelete